Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Out-of-the-ordinary







I used to live in a part of Denver referred to as Capitol Hill. It is the grudge part of town near Colfax (a 'colorful' Denver Ave) and home of Denver's Art Institute. While living there I noticed this couple that walked by my apartment window on a daily basis. They were dressed like they just left an all night rave but in the middle of the day. So it is this eccentric couple caught my interest. Some of the neighbors assumed that they were a couple of 'ravers', but that seemed the obvious answer - I find the obvious answer is rarely the real situation - I knew there had to be more to the story. After meeting Kira and Nate I was not surprised to learn they are quite intelligent and friendly. They are both students. Nate is studying computer science and Kira is finishing a degree in web design. She is considering a masters at DU. They have a unique style and expression and their fashion sense is one of the outlets for their creativity. They design and make their clothing together. They have agreed to allow me to capture their lives. For our first shoot we went to the art museum and did more of a portrait session to break the ice. I'm not sure if the story is a 'more than meets the eye' or a love story 'someone for everyone'? I think the answer will reveal itself over time.

1 comment: